Heatherdale Children’s Home
Sponsor: Woolworths Trust
The second Woolworths Trust projects was a much bigger venture than the first one and involved around 55 pairs of hands to get this huge task done.
The boys dormitory at this Children’s Home was in serious need of some tender loving care. A considerable amount of pre-makeover work was needed and Newkidz on the Block contracted a company called The Renuvator to do the necessary so that when the Woolworths team arrived, the canvas was ready for them to do their thing.
The extent of this project was big and it gives me great pleasure to report what was actually achieved:
- 12 rooms were painted (walls and ceilings) – including the three carers bedrooms
- The wooden floors in 6 of the rooms were sanded and sealed
- 4 bedrooms with on average of 6 clothing cupboard in each, were fitted with doors
- Cupboards were scrubbed clean of graffiti
- Tiling; plumbing; electrical; replacing sections of the ceiling and general repair work was completed
- New curtain rails were fitted and new curtains hung in the boys bedrooms
- Beautiful new bedding (duvets covers, duvet inners, pillows, fitted sheets and cuddle soft throws) was fitted on all beds
- Beautiful murals were created on the bedroom; passage and lounge walls
- The lounge suite and lounge rug was steam cleaned
- New large rugs were placed in each of the 4 boys bedrooms
- The bathrooms were upgraded with shower curtains; net curtaining and accessories
- Mirrors were hung in each of the boys bedrooms
The end product was stunning – Well done to Wylie and Dayle’s team. There is no doubt that it was two days of solid hard work but I believe that the volunteers left this Children’s Home counting their blessings.
Children who live at Child and Youth Care Centres such as Heatherdale don’t ask to be removed from their families and taken to facilities such as this one. This in itself must be so difficult for young children to understand and work through and what a privilege it is for us as fellow citizens to rally around these children and in a tangible way by improving their living environment to a standard that we would like for our own children.
Thank you Woolworths Trust for investing in the lives of these boys who we trust will grow up to be fine men in our society.