SOS Children’s Village
Sponsor: Woolworths Trust
18 – 20 September 2013
Project number seven and another feather in Woolworths Trust cap!
Once again the expectations for this project were exceeded thanks to the hard work of the Woolworths staff members under the leadership of Brent Laaks and the great support we received from amazing suppliers.
We originally planned to give the two transition cottages (which is home to 12 teenagers who will be leaving the Children’s Village in a couple of year’s time and are currently learning to live an independent lifestyle under the supervision of two carers) a fresh coat of paint and some general maintenance.
This turned out to be more of an extreme, extreme upgrade because what was actually achieved was phenomenal:
- Two 4-bedroom cottages with 2-bathrooms; kitchen and lounge / dining room area each, were painted in fresh colours
- A beautiful mural was hung in the lounge of each cottage
- New carpets were laid in the 4 bedrooms of the girls cottage
- The carpets in the boys cottage were steam cleaned
- Cupboards; tables and chairs were repaired
- New cupboards were installed in the bedrooms for those children who didn’t have one
- Each child and carer in these cottages received a new bed and new mattress
- All the beds were covered in stunning new beautiful linen
- Window blinds were fitted to all windows
- Dining room furniture was whitewashed
- Lounge suites were reupholstered
- Each bedroom got a desk
- Kitchen tiles were re-grouted
- Plumbing repair work was done
- New light fittings were installed in all rooms
- Door handles; window latches and other general maintenance done
- A super spring clean was conducted from corner to corner of the cottages
- A list of household accessories was given
A big thank you to Sandi & Lara from the company “Get There” who came alongside Newkidz and offered their assistance on this project.
Thank you Woolworths for making a difference yet again in the lives of our future leaders! It is a privilege for us to be associated with you.