Baphumelele Childrens Home
Four years ago Newkidz on the Block facilitated an extreme makeover of the Baphumelele Children’s Home with 459 volunteers over a 3-day period! I am sure many of you will remember that project.
The management of Baphumelele Children’s Home have continued to keep the Home well maintained but naturally, with roughly 100+ lively children on site every day, normal wear and tear becomes an ongoing job and so it is our privilege to return to this Home to help them once again with these maintenance chores.
Instead of us doing one big extreme project, Newkidz on the Block has decided to do the work, section by section.
In November last year we planned to paint & decorate the inside and outside of the front perimeter wall however due to service delivery protests, at the time, we were unable to complete this project as planned. We did however raise sufficient funds to repair & install much needed security gates at this Home.
So because we committed to doing this work, we returned on the 27th May 2016 to upgrade one of the cottages sponsored by Old Mutual and paint the extremely long perimeter fence at this Home.
A huge thank you goes to Old Mutual Staff Volunteer Fund Trust for sponsoring the upgrade of one of the cottages at this Home.
And a second huge thank you goes to all 32 volunteers who came along and worked really hard to upgrade the cottage plus paint the extremely long exterior perimeter wall of this Children’s Home.
There was serious work that needed to be completed to this cottage so that 8 children can move in and call this home. The work that was accomplished to the cottage was:
- Install complete new kitchen cupboards with wash basin and plumbing
- Install complete new bedroom cupboards in both children’s bedrooms plus repair cupboards in the Carers room
- Paint interior and exterior of entire cottage in a lovely soft grey colour with white finishes
- Clean the cottage from top to bottom
- Supply and hang new doors and repair door handles
- Replace light fittings throughout the cottage
- Check and fix electrical and plumbing works
- Repair rain water pipes
- Replace one broken window
- Install new curtain rods throughout the cottage
- Tough up plaster work throughout the interior and exterior of the cottage
- Supply: 9 new beds (4 x double bunks and 1 x single); 9 new mattresses; new curtains; new bedding; beautiful lounge suite; dining room table cloth; bedside table; mats; decals and pictures for the walls; accessories to make the cottage look homely.
Our volunteers worked 3-hour shifts and were pleased to enjoy a cup of coffee / tea and lovely homemade muffin after their hard work was over J
Here is an extract from the thank you note received from the Baphumelele Children’s Home:
We cannot thank Newkidz enough for the wonderful gift they have given us of renovating Cluster 5, we are so grateful and we sincerely appreciate everything that you and the volunteer’s and Old Mutual are doing for us. The house looks wonderful.
Sponsored by Old Mutual